Sunday, March 6, 2011

Easy Chicken Spaghetti



A sweet friend loaned me her Pioneer Woman Cookbook (Which I NEED to give back hehehe) and I found this delicious recipe and LOVE IT!  It's perfect because I can put it together earlier in the day, and then just pop it in the oven about 45 minutes before my Hubby gets home & there's dinner.  The boys devoured this up and I really liked it as well.  This would also be a wonderful meal to take to someone in need.  :)  PW's recipe is all from scratch and starts with a whole fryer chicken that you boil and simmer for 25 minutes.  With 3 kids under 3 1/2 there are just times I can't be in the kitchen for that long...it's just the season I am in.  I have to nurse, clean and change a million diapers in there some where too!  :)  So I hope you like my easy spin off of her amazing recipe!  If you DO have the time to make it her way then GO FOR IT!!!  It will taste amazing! 

Easy Chicken Spaghetti
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman

1 lb. Spaghetti noodles
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 (4oz) Jar diced pimientos, diced  (These are just roasted red peppers that have been canned or bottled in liquid)
2 tsp olive oil
1 sweet onion
1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp seasoned salt  (I use Lantana of Texas all purpose seasoning)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste

Directions:
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.  Bring a pot of salted water to boil; break spaghetti noodles in half and add spaghetti noodles to pot.  boil for 8 minutes.  Drain spaghetti and your jar of pimientos and set aside.

Then finely dice the onion and bell pepper.  Heat a medium pan on the stove with 2 tsp of olive oil; saute the onion and bell pepper till soft, but not translucent.  (They will still cook more in the oven)  Set aside.

In a large bowl place the cooked spaghetti noodles, cream of mushroom soup, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, the sauteed onion, bell pepper, drained pimientos, and seasonings.  Finally add the chicken and chicken broth; stir together well, taste to check the seasonings.  If you like more spice add more cayenne pepper!

Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish; top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.  Bake for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly.  ENJOY!




No comments: