Monday, November 14, 2011

Side Dish- Slow Cooker Refried Beans

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

 


Hola amigos!!!  Mexican dishes must be one of my absolute FAVES.  I would always have taco/burrito night and buy a few cans of refried beans to go along with the meal.  I have tried my hand with dried beans before with little to no luck.  They never seemed to work out for me, but when I saw this EASY slow cooker recipe for refired beans I figured why not!?  Let me tell you, these we full proof!  They were so simple and sooooo satisfying.  I LOVE knowing exactly what went into my food and they really taste incredible!  I hope you take the time to give this a try.  I have made this MANY times since then and I'm never buying canned refried beans again!

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

Adapted from http://www.100daysofrealfood.com

Ingredients



• 1 onion, peeled and halved


• 2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed


• 1 fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped


• 2 cloves garlic, minced


• ¾ teaspoons salt


• ½ teaspoon black pepper


• 1 tbsp cumin (sometimes I like a little more)


• 6 cups water


Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.  (This pic is missing the garlic & water...oops)



2. Cook on high for 7- 8 hours. Drain the excess liquid & reserve.   



3. Using the immersion blender, add back liquid a little at a time and blend until you reach your desired consistency.  Be sure to taste and add more cumin, salt or pepper to your taste!



That's it!  Easy peasy slow cooker refried beans....they are AMAZING!!!  If you don't own an immersion blender you can always use a potato masher or regular blender to break down your beans.  These immersion blenders are pretty amazing though, I use mine to make, baby food, smoothies, Homemade tomato basil soup, cheddar broccoli and many more as well!  :)  Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

YUM! I've been looking for a tasty homemade refried beans recipe!!!

petvet said...

You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.
The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s.

Read More: German shepherd husky mix