Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Main Dish: Sweet n' Sour Meatballs

THIS my dear friends is one of my ALL TIME favorite "go to" recipes! It's EASY, delicious, family friendly, and ALWAYS consistently a favorite! It's an amazing freezer meal as well as a crock pot meal. It is sooooo versatile that I promise you will love it. I make it for friends, my family, or for families in need (such as a new Mama). I also take it to pot lucks as well. We had company in town last week and I made this a week before they got in. I bought the frozen meatballs from Costco (Be sure they are NOT the Italian style...but home style, Swedish or homemade works too!). Then, I just made the sauce with the bell peppers and pineapple and brought it to a boil and then allowed it to cool. Then, I just added it right into the bag that the frozen meatballs came in...resealed it and threw them right back into the freezer until I needed them! I just pull them out of the freezer the day before I want to serve them to thaw. You can warm it up in a pot on the stove or have them cooking away in the crock for the day on low. Make the jasmine rice in 20 minutes and there you have it folks! An AWESOME & yummy meal that everyone will enjoy! :) PLEASE put this on your menu...I promise you will love it!


Sweet n' Sour Meatballs

Ingredients:
2 (20oz) cans of pineapple chunks
2/3 c. water
6T. white vinegar
2T. Low sodium soy sauce
1c. packed brown sugar
3T. cornstarch
30 Frozen meatballs(can use homemade)
2 large bell peppers, chopped in 1 inch pieces (opposite colors, I like to use yellow & red)
6-8 servings of hot jasmine rice

Drain pineapples reserving the juice; set aside. Add water to the pineapple juice if needed to measure a full 2 cups worth of juice. Pour it into a large pot. Add 2/3c. water, vinegar, soy sauce, & brown sugar to the pot. In a separate small bowl mix corn starch and a few Tablespoons of COLD water and mix until smooth milky-like consistency. Add to the pot with the pineapple juice mixture & bring to a boil stirring constantly so it doesn't burn on the bottom. Once boiling and thick, turn to low and then add the pineapple, meatballs and peppers. (At this point I take it off the heat and allow it to come to room temp. Then you can open your frozen bag of meatballs and add the sauce and refreeze for another day.) Or you can simmer for another 10-15 minutes and then serve over hot jasmine rice! Enjoy!!!

*Btw, you can EASILY substitute chicken in place of the meatballs. I just wouldn't let it sit in the crockpot cooking in the sauce all day or it might get chewy! ;)

No comments: