Monday, June 21, 2010

Soup: Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup



Now, this recipe was made for me by my sweet friend Sheryl and she was kind enough to share this recipe with me. I apologize ahead of time for the awful picture and I can't believe I forgot to top the soup with parm! My preggo brain must be in full swing! :) Soooo it may not look amazing in this pic, but it does taste AMAZING! I absolutely love the Italian sausage in this. I have made it with the sweet & the hot. Both are excellent, but I recommend using the sweet if you are serving children because the hot can be too spicy! This is so good on a cold night and perfect with some rosemary olive oil bread (From Costco) and a perfect Caesar salad! I like to double this recipe and freeze half, but be sure to freeze it with OUT the tortellini so the pasta doesn't get all soggy on you. Then just boil fresh tortellini the night you want to serve it! Bon appetit'

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

1 lb. bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
1 red or yellow pepper, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
½ c. dry red wine (optional)
5 c. beef broth
1 Tbsp. dried basil
2 c. chopped tomatoes (fresh, or canned w/ puree)
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
8 to 10 oz. cheese tortellini
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
fresh grated Parmesan cheese


Brown sausage, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat. Drain fat, if any. Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, red or yellow pepper, wine, and herbs. Simmer until vegetables are tender crisp. Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Taste for seasoning; serve in bowls with Parmesan cheese.

NOTE: If using fresh tortellini, it will swell and will not reheat very well. You can make the soup ahead up to that point and then reheat it and add tortellini.
(I think this soup tastes better the next day, even if I’ve already cooked the tortellini.)

For the chopped tomatoes, I use almost two whole cans of diced tomatoes, and most of the puree that is in the cans.

No comments: